We must volunteer for oblivion.
If we try to avoid it, we will only find
our every brave and resourceful stratagem
ends up looking like cowardice anyway
in the final analysis,
and there is no reason,
no watertight logic we can deploy
that is not revealed to be lies
leaking cowardice and extenuation
through a thousand desperate excuses.
You do not live by being a death dodger.
When you were young did you run in the woods
and occasionally encounter a carcass
and interrogate it with a stick
and lay flowers on the remains
of that poor animal or bird
just to give childish expression
to the profound sadness it evoked?
That was your own grave.
Have you ever fallen asleep
as rain covers you in a blanket of sound,
slowly dissolving you in its incessant whisper?
That is death. When I was very young
I lay in the garden under the rain
and lost myself in the sensation of it
and although my irritated impatient parents
summoned me indoors and offered me a towel,
and we subsequently moved house,
and an entire lifetime has elapsed since,
I think I am still lying there, under the rain.
I think I will always be lying there,
in that garden, even after I am dead,
and perhaps someday, when everything
has been reduced to indecipherable ruins,
overgrown by a riot of vegetation,
some child will rattle a stick between my ribs.
No comments:
Post a Comment